An auto accident attorney will see hundreds of unfortunate cases every year, often due to negligence and bad driving behaviors exhibited by drivers. As a result there are serious injuries to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. By far the most common reason for this unnecessary loss of life and damage to property is driver error. However, a savvy driver who pays attention to the signs and knows the causes of accidents can avoid an accident and potentially save their own life in the process.
Some of the major reasons for accidents are –
- Bad roads with potholes and uneven pavement can cause a driver to swerve or lose control of the vehicle, which can then result in an accident. Bad roads are not very common anymore, so it is up to the driver to ensure that they keep control of the vehicle.
- Bad weather is another reason why we see so many cases in our auto accident attorney office. Too many people do not take into account the change in driving conditions that comes with a change in the weather, which then results in car accidents. Ice, snow, and rain are common problems that can make it difficult to see the road and other cars, leading to accidents.
- Speeding and driving recklessly are some of the most common reasons why people get into car accidents. The faster a car goes, the more chance there is that the driver will get into an accident. Too many people simply ignore the laws which guide speed, and this is dangerous. Most laws regarding speed are put in place taking into account the area the road is in, the road conditions and recommended speeds by experts.
- Distracted driving is the #1 cause of auto accidents. Things like changing the radio station, tending to a child, or picking up something that was dropped, ranks high among the many reasons people get into car accidents. People that choose to eat in the car can also cause an accident. Eating can result in a person being distracted by dropping the food or trying to manage to get it into their mouth while turning. Distracted driving due to food is a growing cause of accidents and can be as dangerous as using a cell phone while driving. By far the most common cause of distracted driving is the use of a cell phone. A driver who is busy talking on the phone is simply not paying attention to the road, and victims are often hurt and in need of a good auto accident attorney as a result.
- Intoxication with either drugs or alcohol is dangerous but can even be fatal when it comes to driving under the influence. Thousands of people are killed in the United States because they chose to drink or are victims of someone else that decided to drink and drive. Accidents where one or more driver is under the influence tend to be the most dangerous of all car accidents.
When an auto accident attorney is looking for the causes of an accident, they will often look to see if the driver was distracted, intoxicated, or using a cell phone.